Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Intersil 10K

Wafer sources: "During fiscal year 2008, we internally produced approximately 20% of our wafers and outsourced the remaining 80% from foundry partners.....IBM Microelectronics, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company and United Microelectronics Corporation. "

Patent foundation: "We currently possess over 1,000 U.S. and foreign patents and have approximately 570 U.S. and foreign patents pending."

Employees: "Our worldwide workforce consisted of 1,531 employees (full- and part-time) as of January 2, 2009."

2008 acqusitions: "During the third quarter of 2008, we purchased D2Audio Corporation (“D2Audio”) and Kenet, Incorporated (“Kenet”). D2Audio was a privately-held fabless semiconductor company with leading technology in the design of digital audio power amplifiers. Kenet was a privately-held, fabless semiconductor company with leading technology in the design of high-speed, extremely low power data converters. During the fourth quarter of 2008, we purchased Zilker Labs, a privately-held, fabless semiconductor company with technology leadership in high efficiency digital power integrated circuits. The purchase consideration for the three acquisitions was $43.2 million in cash paid to complete the mergers, net of cash and cash equivalents received for the three companies, and for professional fees and the assumption of certain liabilities. The purchase consideration is subject to change depending on the final purchase accounting. Based on our preliminary evaluations, which are expected to be completed no later than the third quarter of fiscal year 2009, the acquisitions included approximately $11.4 million of definite-lived intangible assets, which will be amortized over five to seven years, and goodwill of approximately $19.0 million. In addition, approximately $3.0 million of in-process research and development (“IPR&D”) was expensed as a result of the acquisitions."